05 January 2008

Phoebe Is Home!

We got the news that Phoebe went home today. She's still got a few months of recovery ahead of her, but thanks to all of you the Smiths won't have to worry about any of her expenses this past week. I just downloaded the latest numbers and net donations totaled $5634.38. There are still a few donations yet to clear, but her expenses between the emergency clinic and the orthopod came to about $4200, which means there is a sizable chunk left for the Pet Assistance Fund to help out other pets down the line.

Mrs. Smith called last night while I was working and we had quite a long chat. We were both blown away by the magnitude of support you folks gave. While her husband is still in the hospital, she and her daughters are staying with the in-laws and trying to deal with some post-traumatic stress. She says that Phoebe is going to be an essential part of their own healing process, and having seen the bond they have with her, I have no doubt of it.

I broke down the numbers on donations a bit more, and as of this writing there have been 302 online donations. The mean donation amount was $19.52, and the median amount stands at $15.00. As I mentioned before, most of this amount was raised in small increments. 88.7% of the donations received were for $25 or less. 44.85% of them were for $10 or less. It really goes to show the collective power we have to do a tremendous good if we each give what we can. Whether small or large, every one of you who donated helped to make a huge difference for this family.

Thank you, every single one of you.

16 comments:

Paul said...

302 donations! This is just astounding! Thank you for giving us the chance to help Phoebe and her family. I'm sure she's glad to be home with those that love her.

What is the update on Mr. Smith and his injuries?

SoapDoc said...

No, my dear man. THANK YOU!!!!!!

You are simply awesome, and although we've never met -- I am EXTREMELY fond of you ;)

I appreciate the opportunity to help Pheobe and her family more than you will ever know!!

Laritza said...

Thank you! for doing this.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Phoebe is home with her family!

Alwen said...

That's great, and leaves me all teary.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! A great way to start the weekend knowing that Phoebe is home with her family.
Thanks for the update!

knitnzu said...

You know you'll have to stay in touch with the Smith's and get a picture of Phoebe when she is well and running around.

Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! Nice job!!! I just did my donation...I was a bit late on that one. :( I'm so happy to know that Phoebe and other pets will be well cared for and that their owners won't have to worry about the expense while they are also worrying about their furry friend.

littlejmcd said...

Mel! That is so great!!! Give my puppy a hug for me! :)

~janet

Scoutj said...

Well hot damn Mel. This is just so cool. I'm so happy I was able to help a little bit in taking the financial burden off of this family for their sweet dawggie!

Sam said...

wow. i've been gone from blogland for 2 weeks, and look what you did. pretty incredible, Mel. kudos to you.

mehitabel said...

Thanks to YOU for giving us the chance to help out! So often I think, I wish there was something I could do--and this time, there was. Hopefully you can keep us updated on both patients!

FiberQat said...

Our four-footed companions mean a lot to us. I'm glad we were able to help out. Many hugs to the Smiths and Phoebe.

Rooie said...

Great news! I hope Mr. Smith's recovery goes as smoothly.

Thanks for letting us all feel good.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're in the world, Mel. Like another commenter, I've been gone for a while, and just got back to see that you've done that force-of-nature thing again. You're awesome.

I feel especially awful for the little girl...thank goodness Phoebe will be a part of her healing.

Lee Ann

CryssyeR said...

I have been offline for awhile and I totally missed this, but I feel such emotion about it I had to donate. I don't usually comment, but I wanted to say that you are amazing. Keep up the great work, doc!