14 January 2008

Everybody Loves a New Sweater!

As Chris has pointed out, today is National Dress Your Pet Up Day. And it so happens that I just finished a new sweater for Tuck, which he absolutely loves.

011408Tuck_sweater

As I have recently commented elsewhere, I'm not one to dress up pets for the sake of dressing them up. I knat Rosa a sweater once because she was getting old and more susceptible to cold, but she was mortified and I didn't try again.

Tuck, by virtue of his small size and thin hair coat, gets cold easily and really likes having a warm sweater. The first one is kind of scratchy wool, though, and while he likes the warmth, it irritates his sensitive, allergic skin a bit. This one is somewhat softer Paton's Classic Wool Merino in brown and some leftover blue heather Cascade 220 for the stripes. I did this one on the fly, too, and it's turned out a good bit longer than the first one. Fortunately, his *ahem* equipment hangs fairly low, so the snug-fitting sweater doesn't get in the way of anything.

Anyway, I finished it up just in time, because once again we're in the middle of a nor'easter that has already dumped a considerable amount of snow on us this morning. Because Tuck's airway surgery requires us to be about 40 minutes up the coast from my workplace at an early hour tomorrow, and we live an hour in the opposite direction from my workplace, I decided it would be prudent to hole up somewhere closer to the surgery venue. So we are about to head to a motel in Freeport where we can hang out and watch cable TV until we fall asleep.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, is that his happy face?

He certainly is handsome in his nice new sweater.

laura said...

Some dogs are like that. I always thought that people who put clothes on their pets were silly until I got Daisy. She freaking loves to wear stuff.

Daisy said...

I am so disappointed that I did not know today was National Dress Your Pet Up Day! I loves to wear the clothings, and I dress up every Friday. That is a very adorable sweater.

Sean said...

so sweet! Nice Job!

alice said...

that's so strange, i didn't even KNOW that, and i just finished the first two sweaters i've ever made for my little mutt. check later, i'll hopefully post pics tonight!

good luck on the surgery tomorrow!

Rabbitch said...

His surgery was this morning ... I'm waiting anxiously for results.

He's the cutest boy in that sweater.

Unknown said...

Now THAT is a classy looking dog sweater (not to mention, a beautiful dog).

Why couldn't some of the pet/knit sites/books put that kind of model in their publications?

With Tuck's early difficulties in life, at least it must be a comfort to know that he's amply endowed...even if it isn't fully functional.

Anonymous said...

Ok. Tuck in his new sweater? Super cute. Like cute overload.

Good luck with the surgery.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the surgery!
TinaB

Anonymous said...

Good job on the sweater. Tuck looks wonderful - does the brown really match his eyes? I hope he's continuing to settle in well.

Anonymous said...

just waaaaay too cute!

Love This Space said...

The sweater is adorable. I'm glad he likes to dress up. I have greyhounds so they really need clothing once in a while. One hates it and acts like I'm punishing her and the other adores it because he gets all kinds of positive attention when he is wearing something cute.

knitnzu said...

Tuck is very handsome in his new sweater! You can do short rows to lengthen the back or cast off on the underside and keep going on the back, and then pick up for ribbing along the bottom edge to leave room for his manly parts. Patons has a good dog sweater booklet (with several silly things), but you can wing it from the pics, or the many available online. Hope you had a good time in Freeport.

Anonymous said...

That is extraordinarily cute.

James said...

That is a very suave dog-man in a very attractive dog-man sweater.

TorontoVet said...

Nor am I a fan of dressing dogs up, except in those cases where it is needed. And it often is needed, especially with the small, short-haired breeds here in Canadian weather. The canine apparel, though, doesn't have to be Louis Vuitton or Gucci, as you demonstrate here.