04 March 2006

Tolo

Not much else to go with today, so I'm going with the cute. Tolo is the youngest of my crew of beasts. What's particularly special about him is that he came into my life the same day that David did.

The weekend after I moved back to Maine, my mother and I went to the Fiber Frolic. On our way there, we passed my parents' neighbors on a walk, and they had a small kitten running along with them. They told us he had come chasing after them as they were walking down the road, so I told them to bring him by the house if they couldn't find an owner. At Fiber Frolic, I recognized David as the guy I was told I should meet & got his card and e-mail address. He said he'd remembered meeting me in Minneapolis, but played dumb as to the circumstances (says he was worried about embarassing me in front of my mother). Anyway, we know how that turned out.

On the way home, we stopped for a dog who had apparently been hit by a car, and as we were looking for the dog's home, the kitten came running out of the woods to us. Afterwards we called the neighbors and found out that he had run up a driveway that they had assumed was his home. My brother initially expressed interest in the kitten, but being the sucker that I am, I knew pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be able to give him up. I generally say that he found me, rather than the other way around.

Here's a pic of him I took when he was about 7 weeks old:


He was only able to fit himself into my shoe for about a week, so I'm glad I got that photo when I did. At that time, I don't even think he had a name. I had a hard time coming up with one until someone suggested Bart. I said that it would have to be Bartolomeo, and Tolo came from that quite naturally. This is what he looks like now, at 10 months of age:


More often than not, we refer to him now as The Monster. He's very loving, but he's also a typical fearless teenaged terror. Thankfully, his teens should pass by faster than a human child's.

Mortgage Spam Count: 105 and holding

3 comments:

StickLena =KnitLena said...

Me and my white female cat sais "Hello Tolo and congratulations to you new home."
My cat was only 7 weeks when I got her from a neighbour. They said she was 9...She was very mature for that young age. At that time I had 2 grown up male cats in my home and she ate their food, used their toilet and even used them as sleeping bed! That little alien was very bossy, so I kept her and now I know she is 25% Turkish Angora and very cute, witty and manipulativ.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
Wow!!! Tolo has gotten big. Very handsome though...Say hi to David and all the critters. Special pat for Rosa.

City Wiccan said...

It's so nice that the cat found you and adopted you.

She's a little bit bigger than the shoe now, eh?