18 March 2006

Life's a Banquet

Tonight we went to the annual awards banquet for EqualityMaine, which I still keep wanting to call MLGPA (Maine Lesbian & Gay Political Alliance - it's former name). We're not political dinner type people, generally, but this and other organizations in the state have put so much effort for so long into getting a nondiscrimination law on the books here, and this is Maine, where black tie, $1000 a plate events are practically anathema.

It was a nice event. Good dinner (especially the chocolate cake!), lots of speeches, lots of standing ovations. The governor was there, as were numerous members of the state legislature, community leaders, & the executive director of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force. David donated socks from his company to their silent auction, too.

For me, though, the most exciting part of the evening was that I got to meet Franklin's Sister Sue. I hadn't even thought about the possibility that she might be there, but her husband was one of the legislators in attendance. So at the end of the evening, I went over and introduced myself and David and we had a nice, but brief, chat. Then it turned out that she had placed the winning bid on David's socks! So it was a very nice ending to a very nice evening, and I hope that Sue loves the socks as much as I do (and that she buys more so we can someday afford to buy a farm).

3 comments:

knittingboykit said...

I'm glad you got to the dinner! I was considering it, but it's been a busy weekend enough without, and the babysitter $$ are piling up!

City Wiccan said...

That's awesome that you got to meet Sue and she bid on the socks! Wow, is everyone on these blogs connected somehow other than the blogs themselves???

Susan said...

Hey! It was great to meet you and David at the EQME dinner. Small world, eh? I'm sorry our chat was so brief. It was a LONG event, though lovely. Perhaps we'll meet up again sometime. I'm certainly intrigued by your alpaca connections now that I have these wonderful socks.