08 March 2006

Carolina on My Mind

I got into Charlotte around midnight last night, got my rental car, got to my hotel room, called David, then wound some yarn and took pics of it - because, well, that's what one does after getting no real sleep for 34 hours. I quickly finished piece #4 of TSKP on the flight (It's a smallish piece), and since I haven't given anyone a taste of it yet and because I haven't had any pics in a couple days, I decided to offer up just a sneak peek.



The yarn comes in fairly loose skeins, which wouldn't be a problem if I could take it home and wind it on the ball winder. However, because of the top secret nature of the project, that's not an option. It was risky enough just having it in the house with me before I left yesterday. With a little bit of time and effort, though, I can make very nice center pull balls of it. I realize it's not an especially spectacular skill, but it certainly beats the hell out of trying to tease out snarls while trying to knit directly from the loose skein.


I expect to be incommunicado for the next few days. Although the sharecropper cabins with outhouses are all gone (my great-grandmother lived in one until the last year of her life), my grandparents live in a very rural area. The nearest little mill towns are 10 miles in either direction, and there are no LYS's for nearly an hour. The Super Wal-Mart in town doesn't count. I hope to get a good bit done on TSKP over the next few days.

Now to get ready for the day, head to the Waffle House next door for breakfast, and hit the road for the last two hours of travel.

No comments: