06 March 2006

Spinning Progress

This is a pic of what I've been working on spinning. I've been following Ted's method and have been rotating bobbins each night that I spin in order to see if this seems to help with producing a more even yarn. Even Ted admits that he's not sure that it makes a difference, but I figure it can't hurt to try. I'm at a stage, though, where I couldn't honestly say whether a more even yarn would due to switching bobbins out or just improvement in my technique, in general. In any event, the plan is to ply this into a 3-ply yarn.

The fleece is Madelyn's from last year. I suppose I'll have to wait and see how much comes of this 3-ply project, but at some point, I also have some wool I bought at Fiber Frolic that I want to play with - a good bit of merino roving, as well as some Shetland/Icelandic cross roving - and I have some wool (unspecified breed) that I've Kool-Aid dyed (grape turned it a bright, flaming red) and plan on blending with a little sample baggie of mohair David didn't have any use for.


Work was very busy last night, but I did have a little down time to sit down with TSKP and managed to finish the third out of 19 pieces.

And just 'cause, here's a pic of David (on the right) and myself (on the left) at Grindstone Point in Winter Harbor, Maine - where my paternal grandmother grew up - last summer.



Mortgage Spam Count: 149, none new in past 24 hours.

5 comments:

knittingboykit said...

nice pic of you two!

Anonymous said...

Very nice pick of you guys. But how did you get red with grape kool-aid? I have used it and got purple. Depending on how many packets and whatnot anything from sort of amethyst to dark (almost black).

Tallguy said...

Yes, you keep showing us that pic of you guys so many times! It's very nice, I know, and you are so cute.... and,...

Bright red?? from purple? Yes, that means that you took it out of the dye-bath too soon. Red grabs first, and the blue takes longer to absorb. That purple is made of blue and red crystals. And what is wrong with flaming red anyway?!!!

Mel said...

I don't know why it turned red - something in the water, maybe? The dyebath was exhausted, though - everything got absorbed. The mohair is dyed reds and purples, so it'll work perfectly.

City Wiccan said...

What a cute couple!! . . . and a great picture too!