By the time I knew what had happened, it was 2AM. I had managed to admit only 4 new patients, but most everything in hospital had potential to be a disaster. I also had a huge pile of records to write up. My 15 hour shift turned into an 18.5 hour shift, mostly because of all the paperwork to be done. When I left Sunday morning, the overnight lull had gone and the two daytime doctors were experiencing pretty much what I'd had to deal with myself the night before.
Monday night, fortunately, was much better. We were nearly filled to capacity, but there were far fewer new cases coming in, and the pace was much more reasonable. It's a good thing, as I had decided to take in my little old man, Poqui, to do a bit of bloodwork.
Poqui is my eldest child and the only one I've known since he was born. He was born on July 5, 1989, in a barn at the horse farm where I was working summers as an undergrad. I brought him home when he was 6 weeks old so that he wouldn't get flattened by an unaware horse, and he's moved around all over with me since. He's showing his age of late, though, and I'm a bit worried that he might have hyperthyroidism. I expect to have an answer on that from the lab when I get to work this evening, but all his other bloodwork was normal, which was both a little surprising and very relieving.
An Embarassment of Riches
Today's mail brought several packages:
- A pair of ringer T's for World Wide Knit in Public Day from Franklin's Cafe Press store. Franklin graciously did a design for our little village of Kittery Point, and I bought one for me and one for David.
- Two pairs of Addi circs purchased on eBay for the purpose of figuring out socks on 2 circs.
- Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury
It made me very happy.
I sat down tonight and finished filling the bobbin I'd started with the icelandic x shetland cross roving. I came to the conclusion that it will probably work best for me as a singles yarn, though I will likely work 2 or 3 strands together in the end. When I test ply it back on itself, the slubs where more of the undercoat fibers are aggregated poof out too much, and I think that if I ply it I'll have a lot of trouble with splitting - more so than if I'm working multiple ends of singles together. Anyway, I wound it off onto David's little niddy (Mine's hiding in a box somewhere) and there are about 204 yds in this little skein.