25 September 2007

Questions Answered Here?

It seems that I've had a number of questions lately that I haven't had a chance to sit down and answer properly. It has been a rather busy week chez tete-de-laine.

On top of it being my 60+ hour week at work, Rosa had a little emergency in the wee hours of my Friday night off that necessitated an unplanned drive into the clinic and a short hospital stay for her. A basset hound back and jack russell back legs are a bad combination, but for thirteen years we have managed to avoid any problems. Until now.

Fortunately, it is only a mild spinal cord injury and she is doing well back at home. She is, however, horrible about being picked up to go up/down stairs, and some ramp-building activity may be in store for this week. She also tested positive for Lyme disease and is on antibiotics for that, but she'll take anything in a blob of peanut butter.

My Sunday night off involved a bit of entertaining, as David's friends Eileen and Tim were up from New Jersey to go to the Common Ground Fair (knitnzu has photos of the fair here) and spent the night with us on their way home. I called David on my way home from work and asked what we should have for dinner. His response was, "I don't know. You're the chef."

So we had cheese, crackers, olives, and a bottle of riesling for appetizers; spring greens, gorgonzola, dried cranberry and sunflower seed salad with balsamic and maple syrup vinaigrette; veggie lasagne with homemade sauce and pine nuts with a Spanish red for main course; and Maine blueberry pie for dessert. Nobody went to bed hungry.

Completely Gratuitous Photos

Since I have nothing else to offer in the way of visual interest. This little guy was brought in Saturday night by the Portland P.D. Both of his front legs are broken, but he's young and should heal and is very sweet. He'd likely make a great companion for Tolo, but David's not particularly keen on getting another cat just yet.

092407 001

And this little critter was all hunched up in the parking lot when I drove in this afternoon.

092407 002

As near as I can figure, it's a meadow jumping mouse. I had never seen one before. This one almost certainly came from the scorched earth former wetland next door, which only makes me hate those sumbitches more. This little fella appears to be blind and ate like there was no tomorrow when I put some food in the cage. I'll be stopping by the wildlife rehab place on my way home tomorrow this morning.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, poor Rosa; I hope she's feeling better real soon. It's so sad when our pets aren't feeling well :-(

What happened to that sweet little kitty?

I want to eat at your house; my dinner consisted of a frozen lean cuisine panini and some fat-free chips - yours sounds much, much better!

knitnzu said...

Poor Rosa! There are some dogs around here that are basset-german shephard mixes. The first time I saw one, it was just his head (like a shephard) and I thought 'how handsome', then I saw the rest of him and cracked up. As I did when an older teenage boy walked another one by the house (poor kid-destroying his machismo self confidence). But at least for this bunch, their legs are stout. Have you thought of/tried a sling so you can support her weight while she walks? Or is this an accident waiting to happen and she'd tumble out the front. You could call that sweet kitty 'casts' in french or something! And you are too good rescuing a mouse. What went onto the scorched earth? Can I come to your house for dinner?

Anonymous said...

Oh those little cat casts! So cute. I wish I could take that kitty home!

Did you like the Common Ground fair?

Sharon Rose said...

Hi!

Duffy aka Fiberqat recommended I drop by and ask you about Rhinebeck bingo. I just moved to this side of the country and it's my first time at NY Sheep & Wool. SO excited!!!
Sharon

pacalaga said...

How could anyone resist those furry little toes sticking out of the cast? Poor little guy. I hope Rosa feels better soon, too.
Oh, and please please tell me how one makes balsamic and maple syrup vinaigrette?

yarnslinger said...

I'm with Julie - you can cook for us anytime Mel! Hope Rosa is doing better...and I hope that precious kitty finds a good home...I'd offer but I just got a kitten a couple of days ago.
I hope mousy finds a good place to live...it's just awful when animals are displaced like that...

Sheepish Annie said...

Poor, poor Rosa! I'm so glad she's doing all right. I'm also glad that she is getting peanut butter. That always makes me feel better.

The sight of that poor little kitty just breaks my heart. I'm glad the P.D. found him and that he's safe. Ditto for mousie!

Now get some rest. You've had a busy week!!!

Rabbitch said...

Oh dude, that kitty has to come and live at my house So. Bad.

*sigh*

Glad to hear Rosa's problem isn't worse than it is.

Unknown said...

I know it's such a faggy thing to say, "EEEK...MOUSE!!!"

I can't believe your love of animals is extended to rodents (unless they come in the form of cat food).

Danielle said...

Hi – I saw a comment that you left on my friend the FemiKnitMafia’s blog. I wanted to email you a question, but I can’t seem to find your email address. If it’s not too much trouble, can you drop me a line at aswiminknits AT yahoo DOT com?
Thanks!