18 November 2009

New Beginnings

On Saturday I went to pick up the newest members of our little farm family. One of the biggest advantages to sticking with smaller animals is that you don't need a livestock trailer to move them around.

111409Sheepies

Paula and Wendy were so excited that they stayed up late to wait for their arrival. Because the remnants of Hurricane Ida were blowing through, though, it was too messy to get a temporary holding pen ready for them for the night, so they got to spend a night camped out in the back of the pickup. Since they're maybe 30 pounds each and had plenty of hay and water, and a few apples, it was more Hilton than hardship for them, though, and they've since settled in quite nicely.

111709Sheepies

That's Angus on the left and Shaun on right. Or maybe he's Fergus - it's a topic of debate. Either way, Posey is less than amused at the moment. I'm sure she'll get used to them in time, but she's lived with goats for so long that I think she's forgotten what other sheep are. Still, she's as big as the two of them combined, so it's pretty funny to see her take off whenever they come near.

One thing I can see we're going to need to work on, though, is their tendency to butt when they want food. I learned about that today when I hand-fed them a little grain and Shaun/Fergus lowered his head and rammed my hand when the grain was gone, apparently in hopes that would make more appear. They're little, but those little heads are still hard. I'm expecting a bit of TTouch work and lots of handling will make a big difference with them. And eventually, I'm thinking it may be fun to learn to hand shear them. I'm definitely looking forward to using the wool, but even more toward seeing how their personalities develop.

9 comments:

Java said...

I vote for Fergus. The name sounds firmer somehow. Beauties, both of them.

Chris said...

Wee woollies!

Yarndude said...

That's so exciting!

Anonymous said...

I love the name Fergus. Reminds me of Fergus the frog in the Thomas the Otter book. (Fergus was an old grump, but funny.)

Would you do a line-up with names of all the animals? I am unsure of who is which, etc.

Sheepish Annie said...

OMG! I'd forgotten all about T-Touch! I used to do that with my cat. She bit me, but she was sort of the exception to the rule. Grumpy and demanding suited her...

Those are very cute sheepies and I'm certain they will learn dinner manners very soon.

that's J-O-S-H said...

Cute! You should have named them both Alexander after mah pretend-boyfriend from Where The Wild Things Are!!!

Rabbitch said...

Those sheepies, I loves them. And Shaun, definitely Shaun.

tornwordo said...

What's their poop like?

goblinbox said...

Cute cute cute! AND WOOL!