15 May 2008

Now with Bullets!

I realize I haven't been as diligent in posting as I'd like to be lately, but there's been quite a lot going on - not all of it good stuff. In the interest of catching up, I'm going with Annie's preferred Wednesday night format.

  • I've decided that my lawn has a certain mythic quality, mostly because it sprang forth fully formed, like Athena from Zeus's head. We're barely past frost and it was already over a foot high in places and in bloom when I mowed on Sunday.


  • I have tiny little seedlings sprouting in my garden beds. This makes me very happy. At some point I'll take photos.


  • This evening, David and I drove down to Massachusetts and had South Indian food with my cousin George, whom I hadn't seen in far, far too long.


  • If you don't know whether or not you've ever had South Indian food, it's likely that you haven't. Which is a pity, really.


  • Upon leaving the restaurant (Mysore Veggie in Lowell, MA - I definitely recommend it), we saw a rather large possum skirting the perimeter of a nearby building.


  • On Friday, David and I will be heading to the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat organized by Ted and Joe. I'm pretty sure I'm really going to need it.

  • One of my girl kitties, Dolores, who has been living with my folks, is very ill and has been hospitalized at the clinic since Saturday.


  • She had the name long before Franklin's infamous ovine roommate came on the scene. Please note, however, that both of them are spelled D-O-L-O-R-E-S, not D-E-L-O-R-E-S. It matters.


  • My Dolores has two masses in her liver. While I am holding onto the slim hope that the pathology will come back as abscess, the cells I saw from the aspirate suggest otherwise. Given my track record with pets and cancer, I expect the pathologist will likely concur.


  • Did I mention I'm really going to need this retreat?


12 comments:

KSee said...

• Nope, never tried South Indian Food
• Possum must like it
• Will look forward to how your garden grows
• Sorry to read about Dolores condition
• So glad you are getting out to a much needed retreat, they are fun and relaxing

Sean said...

I just realized that you two have quite a drive ahead of you...and I was bemoaning mine.

See you there.

knitnzu said...

Sorry to hear about Dolores, you know we're all thinking of you. Glad you'll have some down time with the guy's knit retreat. Did you know possums have 13 nipples (have you heard me blather about this already?)... a factoid that disturbed me for years, how can a bilaterally symmetrical creature have an odd number of nipples and how would they be arranged. It took watching a knitter make a possum and suggesting she put in the pouch that I figured out the answer, confirmed by that knitter's googling. And tell folks Dolores comes from 'dolor', pretty sure it's Spanish (latin) for sad.

Chris said...

Sorry to hear about Dolores. :(

Alwen said...

Oof. Well, enjoy the seedlings and the retreat!

Unknown said...

I'm looking very much forward to spending some relaxing time in NY myself...beautiful place, good food and wonderful people.

Are we all going to need to chip in to schedule a nice long massage for you with the massage therapist there?

Sending good thoughts to Dolores...you and David are lucky to have an owner like her.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your Dolores and I am glad I am not the only one who notice those annoying variation of her name. Don't people know a correct spelling of a name is the most basic politeness?

Lynn said...

I'm sorry about your kitty. The world just sucks big time right now, doesn't it? And enjoy the retreat; I wish I were a guy, so I could go.

Anonymous said...

As a California native, I'm always charmed when someone (including my Maryland-abiding self) talks about going to another state for dinner.

....thinking positive thoughts about your Dolores...

Sheepish Annie said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about Dolores. I have learned to hate that which lives in the aspirates. I'll keep thinking good thoughts, though. I need to believe that, just once, a pathology report will come back with happy news.

Meanwhile, enjoy your retreat and use it well. You certainly deserve the break!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry about your kitty. I'm crossing my fingers, toes and my own kitties' paws that you get good news.

Sue Who Knits said...

Have a relaxing weekend retreat, wish I could be there too, but I couldn't pass.

Don't forget your toe shoes.