29 May 2008

Footwork, Fancy and Otherwise

One down,

052908Kilt_hose01

one to go.

052908Kilt_hose02

And in other footwear news, I managed for the first time ever to sustain a running pace (only 5mph/8kph, but it was still running) for a full mile today without having to drop to a walk and without feeling like I was about to fall over and die. Granted, it was on a flat treadmill rather than on the hills on our little road, but it's still a milestone for me. I've always been better as a (very) short distance sprinter than any kind of distance runner. I've just never been able to maintain the pace and have had too much trouble with all my joint issues and raging shin splints (and general lack of commitment) to effectively build up to it.

I've also not done any training to speak of to get to this point. Between going out of town and kitty emergencies, I hadn't even been to the gym for a couple of weeks. The only thing different was that I was wearing my FiveFingers shoes, so it seems that they're helping me run much more efficiently. I also didn't have any knee pain during or after and, after slowing to a moderately brisk walk for ten minutes, I was able to go back up to a running pace for the last eight of my half hour of cardio. Color me very pleased.

Of course, I'm nowhere close to catching up to David's cousin Greg, who just ran his first marathon the other week (and whom you may recall from this post). Seeing as he's still in his early 30's and I'm staring down 40, I'm not sure that I'll try to catch up, either, but it was still a nice feeling.

Memery

MollyBeees tagged me for this one and it seemed interesting enough. I won't be tagging anyone else, but feel free if you wish to do it anyway.

What's the last book you read that you thought was really super, inspiring, you'd recommend it to most anyone?

I'll make this a twofer and say surgeon Atul Gawande's books, Complications and Better. For the lay person, I think that they help to put a human face on medical practice and point out the reality that we aren't perfect and aren't capable of miracles. For me as a professional, I think they're inspiration to aspire to be better.

What food totally grosses you out, you'd never be able to touch it? Ew. Gag. *hurl*

After many, many years as a vegetarian, this is pretty easy. I can't see myself ever going back to eating meat. Maybe as an act of absolute desperation, but I really find it repellent. Also, fat dog flesh under surgical lights smells an awful lot like beef, which doesn't help.

Did you ever watch a scary movie that frightened you so much you were afraid of the dark afterward? I mean like you're lying in bed trying to sleep, but you have to pee, but you're scared to get up. It doesn't have to be recently; could be when you were a kid. So what movie was it?

Not a movie, but when I was in high school I read Pet Sematary in a single day. When I got to the end, I was home alone (we lived in the sticks in South Carolina) and nobody was going to be home for over an hour. I closed all the curtains, locked all the doors, turned on the TV and radio and called a friend because I was so freaked out.

Oh, and The Mothman Prophecies still gives me goosebumps if I think about it, and I saw it in the theater over 6 years ago.

Is there a song that makes you dance every time you hear it? Would you tap you feet and sing along to it in public?

Every time I hear Pat Benatar sing Love is a Battlefield, I have to sing along and do the titty jiggle move from the video. Every time. Just see if you can resist.



Tattoos: yes or no? Do you have any? Tell us! Do you think they're gross? TELL US!

I blogged these in this post.

When's the last time you laughed so hard your ribs ached and/or you nearly peed yourself? What made you do it?

The hardest I have ever laughed in my life was the first time I saw Suzanne Westenhoefer perform. My face hurt.

Draw or doodle a picture of your pet(s) and post it if possible. Nothing fancy, don't be shy!

It's late, so I'm not going to try to draw anything, but I did make an lolcats of Tuck and Cougar just the other day.

Go through a stack or box of your old music. Stuff that you may not have heard in years. Pick one and tell us about it. Is it as good (or as bad) as you remember?

Again, it's late. And I really do need to go through my collection to see what needs to stay or go, but that project's been pending for a few years now.

Do you still sleep with a stuffed animal? We won't laugh!

No. Not since I was in my early teens, I don't think.

9 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Congrats on finishing that first sock, looks like you're on a roll. Great meme, too.

knitnzu said...

Go Mel Go! About getting that second sock done AND about the running. I also hate running. Ah well. What IS that box your foot is resting on there? Ewww about the dog flesh there!

Carol said...

Annoying Hetero Girl pops in to say: Nice Legs. Srsly.

Chris said...

Hey, Kore did the touch-up work and slight expansion of my kanji tattoo a few years ago!

The scariest thing I ever read was H.P. Lovecraft - scarier than any movie ever. I had to sleep with lights on. Eeep!

LOL about your Pat Benatar moves!

Anonymous said...

Very nice hose.

Sheepish Annie said...

I still sleep with a teddy bear. I've had it since I was a freshman in college. I've successfully managed to hug his head off. It hangs on little strings...

Which is kind of scary. But not like the Mothman Prophecies, though. That one is a bit chilling!

Anonymous said...

It's a really good thing that my husband was in the shower while I read this...

I did the entire choreography. I am old enough not only to know it by heart, but to have actually practised it with friends walking down Hampton Beach boulevard.

Put that in your image bank, sailor. :-))) And thanks for the much-needed morning boost. Also, the legs. A leg post always makes for a good day around here.

Maureen said...

I would like to ask a question about your knitted hose: I can see in the photo that you are using a circular needle, instead of a set of 4 - or 5. Is it easier to knit socks this way? - and secondly, where do you find a circular needle short enough to handle socks?
Thanks for answering, as I hope you will!

Christine said...

OH that sock looks great! Hope the 2nd one goes quickly!

Wow, that video brought back flashbacks of my 80's hair. Damn, I miss big bangs.