09 December 2009

Ancient Music

An appropriate verse for today's very inclement weather, even though we've missed any snow accumulation right here and I do generally like the season. Still, my poor aching fingers aren't pleased at the moment.

Winter is icumen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
An ague hath my ham.
Damm you; Sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.
Sing goddamm, damm, sing goddamm,
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.

Thank you, Ezra Pound.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, Ezra got it wrong. "Ague" refers to the chills and fever of malaria, an affliction not commonly associated with winter.

kmkat
aka givemeanitandIwillpickit

Jeanette said...

Reading the verses, all I could think of was the ending of the 1970's cult movie "The Wicker Man". In the last scene the very "old-fashioned and traditional" villagers are cheerfully singing "Summer icumen in" as they set fire to the Wicker Man (and the nosey outsider locked inside).

Great movie, almost a musical in a weird sort of way.

Michelle M. said...

I hate when my ham is all aguey.

rosesmama said...

Handsome devil. there in his youth.