28 August 2007

My Toothy Grin

Today was a rather busy day off. It started out with a physical therapy appointment. The knee is improving slowly, but enough that we'll probably be able to drop down to once weekly sessions. It will probably still be quite a while before I'll be up to restarting the Couch-to-5K plan, but after 16 years of dysfunctional knee, I kind of have to take the long view.

After that appointment, I had about an hour to come home and brush and floss, and brush and floss, and brush and floss before my first dental cleaning in, well....let's just say it had been a while. And although I've had a good bit of work done and, as a result, do try to take good care of my teeth, I was a little worried they'd whip out that pink stuff that finds all the plaque so they could tell me how horrible I am as a tooth brusher. Turns out they're not so big on the shame thing. Or maybe my sister-in-law, who works in the clinic as a dental assistant, told them not to make me cry.

Actually, the verdict was quite good. Everyone was very impressed that I'd kept my teeth up so well without their able assistance. It's a good thing, too, because it kept the poking-around-in-my-mouth-with-sharp-instruments part at a very bearable level. And I left a very happy man with my little grab bag of brand new toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss. It's not quite as fun as the cheap rings I used to get at the dentist when I was a kid, but I'm kind of getting into the age range where just leaving with the same teeth you went in with is a good thing. David has an appointment Wednesday morning and it's been even longer since he's had a checkup, so he's just a tad nervous.

After all the running around of the day, the evening was low-key and relaxed. The mail carrier delivered two balls of Opal sock yarn in colorways based on works by Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Absolutely brilliant, and when I learned about them I had to have some. I got mine from Woodland Woolworks, and I'd be hard-pressed to say which influenced my selection more - the actual colors or the colorway names (Seeschlange and Die Straße zum Sozialismus). Considering my general deep-seated aversion to orange and the fact that the latter colorway contains a fair bit of it, I'm inclined to think the names were the tipping point.

I also got a good bit done on the Shedir for Daphne. This photo was taken with the crap work camera the other morning.

082507Shedir

I've now finished the main cable section and have started on the decrease rounds. Soon it will be time to switch to two circs or dpn's (I'm undecided at the moment), and I think I should be able to finish this up in plenty of time to present Daphne with the finished hat when we head that way next week.

Republican Hypocrite Is a Repetitive Redundancy

Or at least that's how it seems these days. The latest to hit the news, of course, is gay-bashing Idaho senator Larry Craig's arrest (and subsequent guilty plea) for soliciting toilet sex from a plainclothes cop at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.

Now, I understand that there are people who like to get off in public places, sometimes with people whose name(s) they do not know. As long as the arrangement is consensual and as long as the parties involved are discreet and not deceiving a life partner who understands their relationship to be monogamous (or the other members of a closed poly relationship, as the case may be), then I really have no particular complaint with it. Live and let live, as far as I'm concerned.

If, however, you are a married man and powerful politician who has made a political career on social conservative stances that would deny equal protections to same-sex couples and hate crimes protection to lgbt people and who then turns around and tries to suck some anonymous dick in an airport toilet, I have just a wee bit of trouble with that.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to find a dentist. I have been postponing that since we moved.

I have seen quite a bit of that Opal yarn, of late. I will be interested to see how it knits up for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your knee is improving slowly. I can't wait until it's all better so I can have a running partner! I finally finished the Couch to 5k. What a good feeling to have follorwed all the way through. Now I just need to keep it up.

knitnzu said...

I'm with you about guys like this! Here's the exercise thing that did good things for my leg muscles following knee surgery-proprioceptive exercises, there are a bunch, check in w/ your pt. And leg lifts where the non-moving leg is bent with your heel as close to your butt as you can get it, arms around the bent leg so your torso is forward. Ouch! Can't lift as high or as many, but gets better results. Ant point your toe 'in' to your midline to better get that vmo. ...maybe you have 'good saliva'? (as to why your teeth are in good shape).

Anonymous said...

And I read something about Democrats in Florida trying to replace public toilets with some model that couldn't be used for such purposes. what is with these people.

Anonymous said...

Susie Bright's post today has a hell of a rant on that very subject of hypocrisy and the loooong list of Republicans who have been nabbed for toilet sex, drugs, and sex crimes against children. She linked to a site that keeps track of the arrests and convictions of said Republican offenders. I could hardly believe how long it was. Incredible that these are the very same people who refuse rights to those who want to have healthy relationships.

(said in my very best Marvin the Martian voice)It makes me angreeeeee....

pacalaga said...

And they all fall down.
I read about that yesterday (also about the part where he said he should have talked to a lawyer and not pled guilty. jerk.) and couldn't help but think of all these old powerful white guys toppling like dominos. You'd think the average Republican voter would start to wonder about his candidates after a while...

Anonymous said...

I am need to get back onto the Couch plan too. Another Dem in the Senate would be a good thing at this point!

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Vienna, I used to live within sight of a building designed by Hundertwasser, and I also used to frequent the coffee shop at his museum, Das Kunsthaus. His stuff always cheered me up.

Marcy said...

Well ranted about the republican, Mel. Well done!

Sheepish Annie said...

I really wanted to leave some very intelligent-sounding comment here. Your thoughts on Mr. Craig's "situation" were so very well-worded.

But, I couldn't get past the word, "dentist." I hate the dentist. A lot. All I can do is shiver and think about how much I hate the dentist now...

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm sure we must have politicians doing similar stuff here in Canada, but we never hear about it in the media. What's that about?

Emily said...

Glad to see the enabling has worked!

We had a phase when the Tories (right wingers here) were parading what they called 'family values'. Of course, that was the time when half the cabinet was found to have a mistress/ dodgy rent boy thing going on all unknown to the poor spouse (wife, in all cases, actually) and one poor guy had a terminal autoerotic experience involving an orange in his mouth, stockings and a noose.

Politicians are fools to parade the perfection of their morals (on their own terms - like you, I couldn't care less if consensual) as they almost always fall down, quite apart form the hypocrisy and general in-other-people's-business of it all.

Liz said...

Hear, hear, dear. Somebody said on some commentary last week, "geez, it really is getting to the point where if you see some public figure going on and on about how eeeevil gay people are, you should just assume they're overcompensating26steve."

and, erm, thank you (I think) for the link to the Opal. :)