08 August 2007

Has It Been a Week Already?

Cripes, has this summer been keeping me busy. So much so that there's not been much time left for blogging - or knitting, for that matter. I have been working on catching up on some reading lately, though. Last week I finished reading Better by surgeon Atul Gawande. I have previously mentioned reading his first book, Complications. I cannot say enough about how wonderful these books are. Read them.

This week, I'm reading Climbing Chamundi Hill, which is a little treasure of a book I happened across with tales taken from classical Indian literature, which doesn't really begin to describe it properly. I linked to the Amazon page for the information, but I'd recommend buying it for a lot less from an independent bookseller at AbeBooks instead.

Work has been, well, work. My 10AM-7PM shift on Sunday was ungodly, with the primary day person and myself doing all we could just to keep up with the onslaught of cases and what seemed like an endless stream of unmitigated assholes coming through the doors (In fairness, most of our clients were fine, but it's the Krabby Patties who really suck the life out of you.). The caseload alternated between merely overwhelming to absolutely crushing all day long, and then the 5PM overnight person didn't show up until 8PM because she didn't realize she'd signed up for the shift. I left at midnight. With the life sucked right out of me.

And although there hasn't been much time for it, there has been a bit of knitting. Mostly just a little here and a little there, really, but last night I did a bit of pattern searching on Ravelry to find something to make with my skein of Sea Silk. I had initially thought to make the branching out scarf from knitty, but I just wasn't really feeling the love and frogged it. Then I tried one of the patterns in Marianne Kinzel's First Book of Modern Lace Knitting, but something wasn't coming out right on the 13th round and I didn't have the time to go back and try to sort out if it was my error (my stitch count was correct) or something in the chart. Back to the frog pond again. So last night I decided that Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy scarf looked like an interesting pattern, purchased it, and cast on. So far so good, and I think it will look quite nice in the Sea Silk.

And since I have absolutely no other pictures of anything to share, I'm gonna go for the cute and show you what someone brought us. Just remember, though, that the best thing to do with any baby animal, unless it's in imminent danger, is to leave it be. Its mother generally knows far better what to do than we do.

080807Squirrel

7 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, what a little cutie!!! Would it be so wrong to knit him some little booties? Or a hat? I'm sure that the other woodland creatures would love it and it's what his real mother would have done.

Anonymous said...

Awwww, too cute!

Anonymous said...

Is that a squirrel? Maybe cute but that's just a disguise for evil vegetable eating bastard...

Anonymous said...

Wow. JoVE, don't hold back - how do you really feel?? LOL!!!

Molly Bee said...

Awww! What a sweetie. I used to work for an wildlife rehabilitator up in The County back in the day. Baby squirrels and raccoons were always my favorite. High cuddle factor! Thanks for the great picture and memory!

knitnzu said...

That tiny little thing sure has some big looking toes and fingers! We don't have any squirrel terrorists around our house (sshh!!!), but I know some folks do...

Rabbitch said...

Sweet!

Looks just like the offspring of the little guy that my neighbours feed.