21 August 2007

It Had Started As Such a Quiet Night

I actually got a fairly solid block of sleep after I got home from work, and I'd gotten up and fixed us a nice dinner (salad and french toast - it was yummy). We had watched our latest Netflix movie, and David had headed off to bed. I let Rosa out in the sideyard for her last potty break of the night and had settled down to catch up on some blog reading.

I had just finished up with Ass Watch 2007 (Norma, all I can say is, I'm very jealous you got to be there.) when a familiar scent came wafting through the kitchen window.

Oh, fuck!

I hurried to the door and called Rosa in, but it was too late - the skunk had gotten to her first. Since the yard is fenced it wasn't as direct a hit as it could have been, but a little goes a very long way. I hustled her back out into the sideyard before she could rub it all over the carpet and hollered up the stairs for David, who was still up reading, fortunately.

We both changed into old clothes and I got him to hold Rosa on leash while I soaked her down with an enzyme solution to try to lessen the stench a bit, but I knew that it was unlikely to be sufficient. So I hopped in the car proceeded very cautiously down the hill to the car with a good light source, checking carefully under the vehicles before I approached them, and drove to the nearest convenience store to wipe out their entire stock of hydrogen peroxide.

Once I got home, I mixed up the formula and applied it to the by now slightly chilly Rosa, and then we got to stand outside and get a bit chillier while it sat and while David drew her a warm bath to rinse off in. After all that excitement, though, she smells like a normal dog and is now happily curled up on her bed.

082107Rosa_post-skunk

And I think maybe I need a stiff drink.

17 comments:

Carole Knits said...

So much for a relaxing evening, eh?

M-H said...

Gee, I'm glad we don't have those critters downunder.

Anonymous said...

Poor Rosa! Why do things like this happen when the nights are cold? I'm shivering just thinking about it.

Sheepish Annie said...

I'm laughing at the irony, not the poor, shivering puppy. Weren't we *just* discussing this sort of thing at The Yarn Sellar??? :)

Laurel said...

Poor Rosa looks a bit peeved, but at least she doesn't smell like skunk!

Laritza said...

Good thing you flew at it, the longer the oil stays in the harder it is to get out. Rosa does not really look like a very happy dog!

Angie said...

I got indirectly sprayed by a skunk one time, it was horrible, for weeks all I could smell was skunk. Just to think of it makes me queasy....

Barbara said...

what is the formula that you whipped up that took the stench of skunk away?

knitnzu said...

Ack, you poor guy... Poor Rosa! One rainy mother's day many many years ago dh (then db) and I were out with 4 dogs, I looked across the little wetland to see Kara the Irish Wolfhound tossing something black and white into the air (like you, oh fuck), Lucky the 40# mutt caught it on the fly. We called them off, then Maggie the border collie ran after it and got a loadful herself. Only Rhapsie the sheltie avoided it because it was thundering and she was terrified and glued to us. THEN we had to get them all into a tiny 87 Civic and drive home. Dh had his head out the window and couldn't figure out why he was so overcome with the smell, it was Lucky leaning over his shoulder 'let me see, whatcha lookin at? window air, I need some I'm a good dog' Ack! This was long before I knew about that great skunk shampoo you linked to. I don't know how we've avoided it here, but so far we've been lucky, esp as there are many of the stinkers in our neighborhood.

Unknown said...

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with skunk spray in my 48 years...hope I never do.

But with all the talk of skunk, I'm still inspired by your dinner menu. Interesting combo.

FiberQat said...

Poor Rosa! Just minding her own business when all of a sudden she's hustled and bustled and washed with stinky stuff by these manic people.

My word verif is zpzhrzoo. I think I'll use it today. It's really perky.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Rosa. Maybe if you'd thrown the salad out for the skunk, this might not have happened. Ask Norma about salad, she'll tell ya.

Elemmaciltur said...

It's that bad??? I've never smelled Skunk stink before...so I don't know how bad it is.

Molly Bee said...

Poor Rosa! Poor Mel! I remember many dog in tomato juice baths when I was growing up in The County!

Anonymous said...

I think you earned more than just ONE drink...

Liz said...

oh, that face - this is a dog that says, what'd I dooooooo?? you put all that stuuuuufff on me!!! I'm a good dog really! wahhh!

and...whew.

Sam said...

I have to confess, i like the smell of skunks. Perverse i know. Somehow the smell ALWAYS takes me to memories of the Appalachian Trail... you can always smell skunk, many times daily, no matter what part of it you are on. Driving to work with the top back, i often smell one in my 7 mile jaunt through the countryside, and it always takes me back.

Now, I don't think i've ever had such a close encounter as you've had, however.

le puff le gasp