15 October 2007

Well, That Was...Fun?

My Saturday night at work was quite a long one. Of course, you say, what else is new? And I must concede that you are quite correct; I do often blog about the long nights, don't I? This time it was a coworker dealing with a personal emergency who definitely didn't need to be trying to work. So I stayed on until reinforcements could be called in, which meant I ended up with enough to keep me working until 1PM. Afterwards, I collapsed in the overnight room there at the clinic and slept for 5 hours, because even though heavily-caffeinated, I was in no condition to be on the roads.

Once home, I turned the jug of leftover milk from Greg's visit into paneer, which shall be cooked up in the next few days, and David and I had dinner together and twisted up skeins of yarn while watching a video. For those who are going to Rhinebeck, he's had 6 years' worth of his best fleeces spun up into a multi-color, undyed, marled worsted weight yarn and we've reskeined it into approximately 90g skeins for sale.

Also, I've decided to take along my Ashford Traveller wheel to sell, as it doesn't get enough use and needs a home where it can be properly loved. It's a double treadle, and I'd be willing to let it go for $275. I figure the money can go towards my wedding kilt, which I'll have professionally made.

Speaking of Kilts...

... I did manage to get part of the lining sewn in the Rhinebeck kilt last night, before things got really busy. I need to get a move on to finish it up in time, though, because there aren't all that many nights before we leave and a lot of other things to do in the meantime.

Jean commented, "I was worried about your reduction in the amount of fabric -- it's that sense of power-in-reserve, I feared, which makes the kilt-beholder go all trembly. So -- a picture is needed." Fair enough, and pictures are certainly intended - when time and the state of doneness permit. In the meantime and on the matter of yardage, I would direct you here. Trust me, this thing has considerable heft (and warmth) to it yet. I thought, though, that it was the sight of manly knees and calves that made the beholder go all trembly. And, you know, "the question".

Along those lines Joe commented, "As for the boxers, couldn't you at least go with a jock strap?"

I told you I know what kind of people you are.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Manly knees, calves, and whatcha-got-under-there that makes a girl go all trembly...

That, my dear man, IS power-in-reserve.

Unknown said...

Yes, you are a good judge of bad people...at least when it comes to me.

Looks like I will have to make a bee-line to your booth to get me some of that nice sounding yarn. As for the wheel, I already have two, so another one would be a bit greedy.

Carol said...

Speaking of what kind of people we are, I shall now spend the week fantasizing about a Marilyn-Monroe-esque moment in which our Dr. Mel is standing at Rhinebeck in his kilt over a vent whilst the air blows the kilt up and around....

Now my knees are all trembly.

p.s. I think what makes the kilt-wearer so sexy is his utter lack of self-consciousness, indicating a complete certainty in his masculinity.

Either that, or the fact that he can flash you at will.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you have enough sense to catch some sleep before hitting the roads after a night like that!

You're taking all of David's yarn with you? What about us poor souls who can't go? :(

Ina said...

Awaiting kilt pix with bated breath. See you at Rhinebeck - you're on my (everybody's) card!

FemiKnitMafia said...

Oh, I can't wait to see your little knees. As for Joe's comment -- ummmm ... [runs away] ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yarn sounds yummy :D.... I'd be interested in the wheel, provided it's not too hard to use (I want to learn to spin, I just need the wheel,it looks like the rest is going to come with time/practice) And I'm declining some work so I can go to BOTH days of Rhinebeck :D (I live in Hyde Park, I'm crazy if I don't go).

knitnzu said...

I think the 4 yd deal sounds WAY more comfy. I know from experience that a LOT of pleats don't do a whole lot for one's self esteem (unless you like looking wide in the behind). But in a kilt, they'll all be looking at your legs cause you're a guy (but skirts on girls? Maybe half are looking at legs, the others are all about the behind).

Unknown said...

I can see that stop #1 will be at your booth. As it should be.

I trust you will not mind my taking a picture of you in said kilt. If not to assuage Carol's cracked Monroe fantasy.

Somehow, I didn't think that having girls drool over your legs was on your list of kiltish priorities.

Eigon said...

It's the swing of the fabric that does it for me :)
I hope you're going to wear it in proper Scottish fashion!