01 October 2007

Supposed To Be

There were supposed to be kilt photos, but when I downloaded them onto the work computer last night they were too damn dark to see any detail on the kilt. They showed off my legs nicely enough, but I'm really not enough of a hits whore to show gratuitous leg shots. When I have a chance to lighten them up in Photoshop, I'll see what I can do.

I was also supposed to be home sleeping right now, but I'm sitting here at the clinic waiting for a phone call. Rosa's condition got slowly but progressively worse after bringing her home, so David drove her up this morning so I could take her down the road to see the neurologists. Now I'm waiting to hear results of a CT scan, and there will probably be surgery involved. She's a good surgical candidate, in general, but a horrible patient, so to say this situation is worrisome would be an understatement.

UPDATE: There was no surgery. It was a tumor within the spinal cord - the worst possible scenario. Despite her pain and despite being barely able to walk, she started the day off wagging her tail and happy to go for a ride in the truck, and I decided that after almost 13 years together, that was the best note for her to go out on. David, Paula, and Wendy all drove up to say their goodbyes with me. This is the first time in 16 years that I've been dogless and it hurts horribly, but it will be okay.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, poor Rosa. Give her a hug for me.

Carol said...

I'm with Julie -- many hugs for Rosa. And you too.

And having met you in person, albeit briefly, I would wager that your legs are every bit as nice as Mr. Hits-Whore of whom you speak...

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about Rosa. I hope it all turns out okay.

And we can wait for kilt photos. I'm kind of interested in where you found information about the proper construction. I've not looked but I'm thinking Tigger might be interested.

Sheepish Annie said...

I'll be thinking good thoughts for Rosa. She's in good hands so I think she will do just fine. But it is always so worrisome when a pet is ailing...a very helpless sort of feeling, I've found.

Love This Space said...

My thoughts to you and little Rosa. I know how tough that is. I have a 14 year old greyhound who is getting really debilitated by arthritis and it is just agony to watch him lose his mobility and strength.

knitnzu said...

Wishing the best for Rosa, her surgery, her recovery, and you and David!

Lilith Parker said...

*big, big hug*

Anonymous said...

Came over to wish you luck, and saw the update. I'm so sorry, Mel.

A big hug for you and David.

Anonymous said...

I so sorry to hear about this. Paul and my thoughts are with you.

As for gratuitous legs shots: no such thing.

Rabbitch said...

I'm so sorry, Mel.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a heartbreak but in the end it's the final, best kindness we can bestow on a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you both.
Carol

Mini said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. She's in a better place, you know that.

FiberQat said...

Many hugs for you and David, Mel. Two losses in two months of beloved friends is hard.

Anonymous said...

Mel and David - I am so sorry to hear about Rosa. It's really hard to lose man's best friend. I will be thinking of you.

Patti - The Yarn Sellar

Anonymous said...

hugs and a tear for the loss, but smiles and laughter for all the good memories the family shared together.

Barbara said...

oh Mel...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Words are never enough.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Mel, such sad news. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts at this sad time.

Mad Hatter of Knitting said...

I am so sorry...I know how badly this hurts. I still miss my girl, Maya and it has been almost 8 months.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Madeline

Anonymous said...

Oh Mel, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and David.

Anonymous said...

oh man, you and david have lost so much this year. glad you have each other.

my thoughts are with you at this sad time.

PS - let's hear it for the legs!

DeltaDawn said...

Just popped over from Mafia's blog - and I'm so sorry about Rosa. We made a similar decision on a "good" morning for our 17 year old persian cat. It somehow felt better to say goodbye when he was in a good mood. Sending warm energies - you're obviously a serious animal lover and it's so hard to lose such a long-time friend.

PS - What did you spray for the spiders? We have a similar basement that could use some help.

Unknown said...

I am never less than awed by the love you show for your animals in every way possible. Rosa was so lucky to have such selfless friends.

tenacious knitter said...

A lurker coming out of hiding to wish you all the best - I'm so so sorry...

Christine said...

Sending hugs to you and David. You are such a loving person with people and your animals. I feel like we all know your pets too.

BerkeleyBecca said...

I have elderly dogs and cats too. I hope your busy weekend is a good distraction from missing Rosa.

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry. It's hard losing a friend, and it was a brave decision.

Sam said...

Sorry to hear about your girl Rosa. Pets lives can go from seemingly bulletproof to so fragile in an instant it seems... but you know all about that. It's been nearly a year and a half since we lost our dog, i thought we'd have another by now.