02 July 2010

Greetings from South Dakota!

Just a quickie drive-by post. We're in South Dakota on vacation and visiting with the in-laws. We started in Sioux Falls (way eastern side of the state) and are now just outside Hill City (near Mt. Rushmore in the Black Hills). I'll try to post more later, but I thought I'd share this photo I took a few nights ago in Leola, which is the town of about 300 people in north central SD where David's mother's family comes from.

062910Leola

Just for reference, this photo was taken at around 9:30 in the evening. Since Leola is at about 45N latitude and near the western end of the Central time zone, it gets dark really, really late this time of year.

8 comments:

Chris said...

I love the Black Hills! I lived in Hill City one summer while working for the Forest Service. :)

Also, if you see a jackalope postcard, Tam really really needs a blank one to send to a friend in Australia. :D

Carol said...

You know I love your quickies, Mel.

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation. I have relatives in South Dakota and Nebraska and my folks came from there. Haven't been in the Leola area, but am familiar with the Hill City area, Rapid City and the Black Hills. - Joe, in Wyoming

Lisa/knitnzu said...

300 people and how many cows? And how far away is that horizon?? Hope you are having a great time!

Jim said...

Nice photo! Keep them coming.

setiawati said...

beautiful photo

Goamick said...

South Dakota RULES! Loved camping with you guys.

Anonymous said...

May I recommend the buffalo stew in the Mt. Rushmore cafeteria and the Mangy Moose near Keystone? Both are excellent :)