28 September 2008

Nom Nom Nom

Since it's raining and there's a hurricane on the way (which likely won't still be a hurricane by the time it gets here, so we're not fretting about it), I decided tonight was a night for split pea soup. I got some dried split peas at the store, but this time I didn't need to buy any parsnips, because I have some growing in my garden beds. I'd been holding off on pulling any, as they're supposed to be a bit sweeter after a frost, but I decided it was time and pulled this monster out.

092708Parsnip

That serving tray is about 20" (51cm) across, just to give you an idea. And even though there was some splitting along one side and a little bit of insect damage, there was still plenty for the soup pot. And the soup was perfect.

Plotz-Inducing Cuteness

While I was making soup, Tuck took a nap in his other daddy's arms. You can just barely see the tip of his tongue.

092708Sweet_Tuck01

8 comments:

tornwordo said...

Aww. And I wouldn't know if that's a big or small parsnip. I'm assuming it's big.

Karen said...

That's just too damn cute. I really enjoy the Adventures of Tuck.

knitnzu said...

Do you know if it's the same for other root veggies? DH likes to leave the carrots and beets (we haven't grown turnips, but we like them) in the ground as long as possible. I'm not convinced that bigger is necessarily better. We must've grown some shorter carrot this year, maybe minicors, because they're all about 2-3 inches long, some nearly that wide. Pain in the butt to peel. And the red and white beets are humongo monsters! Not so the goldens. But I think I like the red ones better for taste. Good to try some different kinds though. Is Tuck wearing a sweater? It looks like he is...

Alwen said...

Awwwww!

Laritza said...

Tuck is so cute! I am so glad that he has blend is as well as he has.

Molly Bee said...

Tuck is so adorable! He's lucky to have two such loving daddies!

Sheepish Annie said...

Parsnips are one of the few vegetables of which I approve. And that's a beaut!

But it pales in comparison to the cuteness that is Tuck. Good Lord...I am overcome!!!

Anonymous said...

Tuck is supercute. Good luck with your tropical storm! You may be the only person in history to weather a tropical storm with split pea soup . . .