07 July 2008

Jumping in with Both Feet

I started back at work Friday night, the 4th of July. So much for easing myself back in. It was busy, which wasn't particularly surprising, but it could have been much worse. As it was, though, I didn't get all of my paperwork done until nearly 1PM on Saturday, making it a 20 hour shift. I took a fitful two hour nap before heading home and getting another too-brief nap. I have until Tuesday to recover, so let's hope I manage to rest up well in the next 36 hours.

I suppose this is all a very roundabout way of explaining why I've been making slow progress at going through the wedding & honeymoon photos. I do now have a Flickr set from the wedding. though not all of the photos have captions yet. Pics from Nova Scotia yet to follow.

Speaking of the wedding, though, let's talk about...

...Cake

Cakes

Juno recently sent out a call for cake recipes and my hospital manager has been bugging me for the recipe for the wedding cake, so
I suppose I have to share. The recipe is actually just a minor variation on cold oven pound cake, which is an old family favorite. You can follow the recipe at the link with the following notes and modifications:


  • Use cake flour, if possible, as it will give the cake a somewhat finer crumb. Make sure to sift before measuring.


  • Sift two teaspoons of baking powder together with the flour.


  • Preheat the oven to 375°.


  • Grease two 9" cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper and flour the sides.


  • Bake for about 40 minutes, or until center is done. Cool for about ten minutes before turning the layers out onto wire racks to finish cooling.


  • Ice as desired. If you go by the original recipe and bake it in a bundt pan, a simple lemon juice & confectioner's sugar glaze is really tasty.


  • Try not to think about what this does to your cholesterol levels.




Enjoy!

14 comments:

Carole Knits said...

The cakes are beautiful! I hope you get the rest you need.

Anonymous said...

I've heard nothing but good comments about the wedding and associated events...and the photos show those comments to be true. It's good seeing all of your siblings together in one place. Congratulations!
Aunt Fran

Alwen said...

"Smooosh!" is the sound of me diving face-first into that cake! I love pound cake.

It looks so good. And don't you guys look awesome.

Anonymous said...

A decadent and luscious cake for a special occasion -- cholesterol levels are irrelevant, I say.

So you DO preheat your oven, and that's the variation on the "cold oven" concept? (an interesting one I'd never heard of, by the way)

teejtc said...

I was absolutely flabbergasted by your cake(s) when I first saw them. I see a lot of wedding cakes in my line of work, but these are by far my favs. Not over done.... not frumpy. Beautiful. Nice job!

Grace and Peace,
`tim

Sheepish Annie said...

I'm usually a little scared of wedding cakes...there always seems to be a wedding around them and I fear that someone is going to try and trick me into a white dress.

But that one is not scary at all! I could make that! I doubt I could ice it as well, though.

Juno said...

Wait, cold oven, or no cold oven?
The "this will not work if you preheat" is warring in my psyche with "preheat oven to..."

Also, your cakes are beautiful....your mom did those?

Sydney Ran said...

I called mom for the family recipe, she told me 6 cups of sugar, 5 eggs. But worst of all, she told me I'd know when it's ready by putting my hand in the oven and patting the top of it. I couldn't tell, so I poked it with an ice pick instead.

It fell.

But it was still tasty!!!

Why do they say half-pint? Why not 1 cup? Baking is not for the simpletons, I tell you.

Anonymous said...

The cakes are beautiful and so are the pics of your long awaited wedding. You both looked fabulous and happy and your friends and families were all happy and celebratory! No drama; just bliss.

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

People worried about their cholesterol levels should not request cake recipes. Sounds good. And looks very pretty.

Anonymous said...

What Juno said...except that when I went to the website with the recipe it said, "This will not work if you"

And that is all it said. I'm scared.

Halp?

And holy crap, your word verification is out of control today. olshvdna, dude. Really, now. I feel like I'm being scanned at the door of a Russian genetics lab. I hope I don't screw it up. That sampling process, she is a bitch. :-)

Anonymous said...

the photos are beautiful. you and david look so happy. my favorite is the shadow one of you two kissing on the rocks. so sweet and tender.

I printed out the pound cake recipe and will be giving it a try.

congratulations to both of you!

Robin said...

Congrats to the two of you!!! The cake - or should I say cakes - are stunning!

Vtknitboy said...

thanks for sharing the pics! my fave is of you two with david holding the pup, and the water in the background. looks like it was a wonderful day. congrats! oh no, wait, my fave was the silhouette of you two with the sunset in the background!