08 July 2008

Finished Object

070708Baby_jacket

Pattern: Baby Jacket from EZ's Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Prima, 80% bamboo/20% superwash wool

I made this little jacket for former neighbors of mine from Pittsburgh who are now in California and proud parents of their fist child. I cast on for this project the day after the wedding and worked on it while we were honeymooning in Nova Scotia. It's intended recipient was born the day before we came home, so I should be able to get it to her before she outgrows it.

It's the first time I've worked with Prima, but I picked it thinking that it wouldn't be overly warm for NoCal (The openwork should help in that regard, too). The hand is nice and it's a good supersoft yarn for baby clothing. As a cabled yarn, though, it does have a tendency to be a little splitty, though this wasn't a huge issue.

More frustrating were the knots. I think I got one in every ball of yarn. Between that and the color changes, it made for a lot of ends to weave in. I got through them all, though, and found the little vintage buttons at an area yarn shop. I washed it to make sure there wasn't any bleeding, and now it's drying so that I can package it up and get it sent off.

Now I need to figure out a possible project for a cousin in Florida who just had baby boy number three. I'm thinking booties might be a better idea for that climate.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Cute sweater!

Hmm. Maybe bibs for Florida? They always fit...

Sheepish Annie said...

Awww...how cute! I thought about knitting that one, but I didn't think it would be a good choice for my great-nephew. Dad's a military man and all that. Maybe my niece would consider having a girl sometime soon...

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little sweater. I was just saying yesterday, that I've never seen a baby who doesn't look good in red.

knitnzu said...

I think this is my favorite version so far of this sweater pattern. What about a knit toy, like the naughty squiddy (but that's felted wool)... Aren't there some wicked cute elephant or elephant like patterns around? Or a bird mobile? Or a cotton blanket? Great idea about multiple wedding cakes vs one humongous one. They look great. I'll have to try that recipe.

FiberQat said...

What about a sun hat? Bubbie's gonna be nearly naked from the neck down but a little brimmed hat would protect his noggin. Or teething toys.

Adorable sweater, Mel.

Ann said...

Babies need sweaters even in Florida. Think air conditioning! A cardigan is better than a pullover ffor a/c issues.

Just an opinion from the mammo of a southern boy.