14 April 2007
I could've made the leg longer, I suppose (I certainly have enough yarn), but I'd done the standard leg-as-long-as-foot crew length and was tired of the ribbing, even though I opted for 2x2 so I'd have to move the yarn back and forward less. I am pleased as punch at how nicely this fits. I have read some complaints from other folks about short row heels not fitting quite right, about them being too snug in the instep and the like. These work well on my feet, though, which may have to do with the fact that I did more short rows at the heel to make it fit my narrow heel better. After all, there's no rule that says you have to do as many short rows at heel as at toe, or vice versa.
I also went down from 2.75mm (US2) to 2.25mm (US1) needles for the leg to make it a bit more snug. And for the cast off, I used the one Grumperina describes in this post, which very quickly became my favorite for socks when I was making them for my niece & nephew last fall. All in all, a very pleasing experience, and I think this may become my new favoritest sock pattern.
The other thing I've been working on (in lieu of cleaning off the desk and dealing with my taxes like I'm supposed to be doing) is designing a Fair Isle pattern for my wedding vest. Yeah, I've got over a year to work on this particular project, but if you haven't noticed, I'm slow about these things. Now is when it needs to be planned out and swatched. Because David is planning on having his vest tailored in (most likely) a tonal damask, I went hunting around for damask patterns I could adapt - I wanted something a bit swirly like Eunny Jang's anemoi mittens - and found a likely candidate in a pattern with curly leaves, which I'm doing a bit smaller and with viny tendrils. A bit of work needs to be done on it before I can begin swatching (two possible yarn combinations are en route), but I should have it hashed out within the next week.
And now maybe I can see about this desk before I head off to bed.