But What's Underneath?
Yesterday, I decided there was enough money in the bank and ordered myself one of these. Not because of Pride - I've just wanted one for quite a while. I was hoping that it would arrive before our trip to Hawai'i, which is coming up in three weeks, but I called and found out that the size I ordered isn't in stock. This means a 6-8 week wait while it's being made. I guess I'll just have to find myself a nice sarong when we get to Big Island.
Big Wheel Keeps On Turning
I've been working on bobbin number three of the shetland x icelandic singles and making fairly good progress. As I've worked along on this, I've been contemplating how best to work with this yarn.
The big issue is that when I've test plied it back on itself, the areas with slubs of undercoat tend to open up too much, which I think will make the yarn too prone to splitting. I thought about just working multiple ends together, but that gets to be a bit awkward & tedious if you're using more than two ends. So I've hit on an idea that I think will work.
I'll dye the singles separately, because I think it'll be fun to make a multi-colored yarn and a good chance to play around with dyes. Then I think I should be able to make a cabled yarn by plying the 2-plys Z, then plying those together S. Hypothetically - or at least in my thinking - that should allow me to avoid the really open areas by ultimately keeping the twist roughly where it is now. I expect it also to give me a roughly worsted weight yarn. I may be wrong, and it may turn out badly in the end, but these sorts of little experiments sure do appeal to my inquisitive mind.
Right now, though, the sun is starting to come up, so this vampire is off to bed.