29 April 2012

"A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought"


In Rome (of all places) I was approached by a young American evangelist who was, apparently, trying to convert all those Roman heathens to Jesus lovers. I told him that I didn't believe in a Creator and explained that being part of this universe was special in its own right, that the fact that we exist at all is beautiful and awe inspiring in itself. The only response he had was, "I just feel like there HAS to be something." What he didn't realize is that there IS something, and it's called quantum physics.

5 comments:

JelliDonut said...

That was a lovely response!

I got to attend a lecture Dr. DeGrasse gave at the University of Colorado a few months ago. It was one of the highlights of my year!

Maureen said...

But I don't even know what quantum physics IS.......and I have been waiting for more pictures of the new puppy!

Laurie said...

Have you seen "What the Bleep Do we Know?" Intriguing movie. Someone famous (don't recall who) said that we are all looking for life outside the universe, and looking for first contact. He made the point that they might not necessarily be Vulcan-gentle. He pointed out that they might be coming to look for resources. Ours. Us. That thought is at least 50/50 possible with the Vulcan one. I have stopped hoping for first contact.

Maureen said...

While waiting for pictures, I have now had time to learn all about Stephen Hawking and quantum pyhsics...and I would still prefer dog photos!

Antonia Cornwell said...

Esme came home from school last night and announced she loved Jesus and going to church. It's not a religious school. They have assembly once a week, and they have to throw in a Jesus/Biblical reference to keep the local church happy or they couldn't have assembly at all, because nowhere else is big enough. Esme hates Assembly, so I don't know where the I Love Jesus Bit sprang from.

We are not believers in this house, but I generously offered to drop her off at church on Christmas, to let her sit on a pew and sing dirges while we all go to the park and have ice cream sundaes and play stupid games and have fun. She lost her faith! Young people are appallingly fickle.