05 December 2006

A Weighty Matter

Today my weight broke the 180# barrier. My weight loss has slowed over the past month or so - partly because I've allowed myself to be a little less strict and partly, I think, because my body has adjusted to the lower caloric intake & powered down accordingly - so reaching this point felt very significant. It means that I've lost about 2 stone now without ever starving or depriving myself. I still have another 4# to reach my target weight and another 5# beyond that to reach my weight when I first met S.

Of course, there are those who argue that an obsession with weight alone is not healthy, and they are certainly right, but I've already discussed all the other reasons for needing to lose this weight. Still, I ran across an article today that supports their assertions, so I thought I'd share.

And because finding the time to carve out an exercise plan has been a challenge, I followed the lead of a local Sheep of Note and ordered myself one of these the other week.



For the past week on my nights at home, I've been sitting down and pedaling for an hour or so while I knit. It's not terribly strenuous, but at least it's some energy expenditure and it keeps me warm while I'm sitting in our chilly little kitchen in the early AM hours. I can also put it on the table and use it to work my arms and upper back a bit, which is one of the exercises they had me do when I was having physical therapy for my back. I went upscale and got a model that has magnetic resistance so I wouldn't have to worry about it being squeaky and waking up David, and I've been very pleased with how quiet it is.

Other News of Size

Today I received a final check from S paying me back for my part of our house in Pittsburgh. Now I just have to get the few items I have remaining there. Or decide if they're really worth the trouble. Actually, there's an antique porcelain wash basin that I really do want, and maybe my ice skates.

And tomorrow, David and I have plans to go find a tree for the impending Yuletide. Said tree will have to be under 4 ft. tall to fit on top of the dog crate (strangely enough, the best possible spot for it). Afterwards, we will be stopping by the credit union to have our signatures notarized on this little piece of paper. Then with a $35 check to the state treasurer we should be all official. But not married, or even civilly united (or should that be civilly unionized?). Because, you know, straight marriages are breaking up all over Massachusetts and Vermont because of that sort of thing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mel, what is that? I too am finding it hard to carve out time to exercise, and the prospect of being able to exercise and knit is attractive.

SaraSkates said...

whoo hoo re the closure on the past, and the domestic partnership declaration! Take a few days and go pick up your stuff - get that monkey off your back. :D

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on everything!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success with the weight loss and on your impending paperwork!

I've tried and tried to see the logic behind those who are against same sex marriage, I really have. But I can't figure it out. But the tide is turning, slow though it may be.

I recently went to a Double Groom wedding at Trinity Church in Boston - the most beautiful and historic churches in town. And it didn't come crumbling down around us.

carrym said...

Congrats on your "not really a wedding or civil union" :) My partner and I are working on getting all of our paperwork done and will be taking each other's last names legally (hyphen situation) next year.

And congrats on the weight loss, I know that's not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish, especially that last little bit (I've been working on those last couple of after pregnancy pounds for about seven years now!)

TheBunny said...

What lovely positives in the wake of a chapter closing.

I hope you have a hootananny planned for your union (be it civil or loving). Wanda Sykes is right. Wouldn't Hollywood be interesting if they weren't allowed to divorce!

Anonymous said...

LOL! You are a couple of HOMEWRECKERS! Congrats on your becoming "legal". And your weight loss. Good luck getting back the sink. I'd say ice skates are more replaceable...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you and David.

I love your little bike. I'm betting that it is far more durable than mine. I like the idea of the magnetic resistance. When the my Baby Blue version finally gives up I'm planning on going for a more durable model. I've also used mine for upper body work and found it to be really useful. Glad that it's helping!

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOooohhh!!! Congratulations!!!!!! Domestic Partners! Yay! Have you registered anywhere? (I mean at Macy's, Bed & Bath, etc?) =)

Anonymous said...

I love the combination of exercise and knitting. My first knitting teacher told my class that she knits on the treadmill, but that seems like a recipe for disaster...

Jan said...

Congrats to you and David!

knittingboykit said...

Are you guys going to CELEBRATE!!!??? Congratulations, in any case!

Anonymous said...

If your cycle will allow you to adjust the resistance, try doing interval training. I had excellent results with it (I was using an elliptical trainer, but a bike or treadmill would work as well) doing 20 minute sessions about 2ce weekly, with some lower intensity work like plain ole walking on the other days. The Tabata Protocols are seem to be the ultimate, but you don't need to work that hard to get results. (I didn't.) You need to keep them ability- appropriate, but still challenging.