02 May 2010

In the D.C.

I'm going to be doing a 3-day continuing ed course in Arlington, VA, starting tomorrow, so David & I decided to take a mini-vacation and spend the weekend being tourists in DC. Not much time to write, but there has been lots of walking, lots of touristing, lots of food, and lots of fun.

I'll post a few monument photos later, but today we went to the National Gallery of Art and met up with VUBOQ, who was much better at taking photos of us all than I was and who will more than likely be blogging about it in the not-so-distant future. What I will share, though, are some interesting artworks depicting the Flying Spaghetti Monster through the ages. First are two photos from an ancient Roman mural depicting a celebration known as an FSManalia.

The God Incarnate:

FSMus

And a worshipper carrying a plate of spaghetti with meatballs:

FSManalia

And here's one of St. Francis receiving stigmata directly from FSM. Most paintings of this event actually show them coming from a giant flame in the sky, likely meant to depict FSM covered in a spicy arrabiata sauce, but in this particular image you can actually make out his noodly appendages.

St. Francis & FSM

And since I have to get up super-early tomorrow, I'll end this art history lesson here. More later!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FSM giving stigmata with his noodly appendages! Who knew?

Anonymous said...

Spooky! ;)

Anonymous said...

Spooky! ;)

Jim said...

Thanks for the lesson,teach.

Unknown said...

Shoot! I was going through the museum with the wrong tour guide! Grindr was only pointing out gay guys of interest in the museum. Oh well.

Lisa/knitnzu said...

And here I thought it was a nudibranch with a lot of weird appendages...

FuguesStateKnits said...

DC can be quite interesting. I've lived in MD for 30 years now and every time we go to the Smithsonian, for example, it's a new experience!
I wonder, did you have an opportunity to visit the MD Sheep and Wool Festival? It was about an hour away in Howard County. If not, hope you all can make it next year:)
Take care,
joan a/k/a fsk

Michelle M. said...

Now I'm craving spaghetti.