My off week was broken up by a shift on Thursday night I switched out in order to have next Friday off. Still, it wasn't entirely unproductive on the home front. I've been slowly adding blocks for the reversible Roman stripe quilt I'm making for our bed. I had two dozen fat quarters of oriental and complementary prints, so I divided them into cool(ish) and warm(ish) tones to give the two sides different feels. This is the cool(er) side:
And this is the warm(er) side:
These photos ended up with a bit too much of a greenish cast to them, but the colors are fairly close. Only another 106 blocks to go, then I can assemble these all with sashing strips, attach a border, apply a binding, and we'll have a queen-sized quilt. At this rate, I may be able to get it all done before December, though I'm really hoping for sooner.
Yesterday was also a good day for doing things outdoors. There have been precious few of those days this summer, so I kind of have to make the most of them. I got the side doors finished and mounted on the chicken coop and harvested these:
That's 44 bulbs of garlic. Some of them are the Russian red variety I've been growing the past couple of years and some are a Spanish red from our friends George and Rain at Green Label Organic shirt company. They live down in Barbara Kingsolver country in Virginia and the t-shirt company is their primary business (Great shirts, check them out!) - that's how we know them - but Rain sells garlic locally on the side. Both varieties are nom and have a bit of heat to them and I can't really tell them apart. What I do know is that I'm looking forward to cooking with them, though the big bulbs will likely be saved for planting this fall.
In other news, yesterday was a bad day for rodents Chez Tête-de-laine. David woke me up yesterday morning to deal with a rat who had gotten herself caught in the chicken wire while trying to go after leftover feed. Of course, just after I got to the scene of the crime, she expired, and I found after pulling her out that she'd managed to eviscerate herself, possibly by trying to chew her way out of her predicament. Had she been unhurt, she'd have been relocated far away. While we're not big fans of vermin, I do believe in giving them a chance if they're not too invasive/obtrusive. As it was, I was left with a much easier task.
Then this morning around 5AM, I went downstairs to let Tuck out one last time before bed. When I turned on the kitchen light, there were Cougar and Tolo with a dead mouse. Well, it was Cougar with the mouse - flipping the carcass up in the air and batting it about while growling at Tolo, who was hovering expectantly. While very proud of our predators, I decided David wouldn't enjoy dealing with the mess if they eventually decided to eat her and leave half lying around. So away she went into a bag, and then into the trash. I say she because it was an apparently very pregnant female, which means that's one generation of mice that won't be born in our walls, which is not a bad thing at all.