09 August 2008

Slacker

I haven't updated in 9 days, which is a bit unusual for me. Partly I think it's the summer doldrums which hit a lot of bloggers, but I've also not had much of interest to blog. I've been working a lot (put in 80+ hours in 8 days), knitting a little on the second Hundertwasser sock (yeah, I finally finished the first one, but no pics as yet), and not too much else aside from the incredibly mundane.

Today it was a bit of handyman stuff while David's off at the Outdoor Retailer trade show in Salt Lake City. I filled in a hole in the kitchen mudroom that's been a thoroughfare for mice, bugs, and slugs with some low expansion foam. The "low" part of it is a relative term and I'll be cutting away the excess tomorrow. Aside from that, I planed down the door to the same mudroom so that it'll actually close. It's still a little snug, but it's super humid around these parts at the moment and I figure there'll be shrinkage when things dry out this winter. I also took my Dremel to a cast iron skillet that's been waiting for me to attend to it for a long time. The seasoning was never great and had cracked all to hell, so I had to grind and buff away all the stuff that was still sticking to the metal then reseason it properly. It now has two good coatings on it, and I think I'll add a third tomorrow for good measure.

When I was done, I made myself a caipirinha, which I'd never had before. I used Darren's recipe and was very pleased. The only problem was that I've been running on not quite enough sleep. Plus I just stepped up my gabapentin to the full dose yesterday. So even though I nursed the drink, when I finished I had to take a nap. And then woke up two hours later with a headache, which I still have 6 hours later.

I still plan to try a variation made with peaches (The local supermarket actually had South Carolina peaches!) instead of lime, though. Just not tonight.

2 comments:

knitnzu said...

We have lots of little things around the house that need doing. And a few big things. I've heard that the ants like that foam, do you know? (one reason I haven't gone gung ho with it in the cellar and on the sill).

Sheepish Annie said...

Any cocktail that makes it to "National Cocktail" status has to be good! I sort of don't really drink anymore...but you never know when the need to start again might arise and that sounds like a good one!