09 September 2006

Wanna Play?



Stitchy McYarnpants is organizing Rhinebeck Blogger Bingo, which should be a ton of fun. I signed up right away to be both a square and a player. I also suggested to David that it might be a good thing if he were to donate swag to the prize pool. He is now in direct discussion with Ms. McYarnpants about sponsorship of the event. As decisions are made and things are finalized, I will post updates, but I hope all of y'all out in blogland will come by and visit us.

David is also a sponsor of a dinner buffet and presentation on Saturday night at Rhinebeck by Linda Cortright of Wild Fibers Magazine. Linda's going to be presenting a slideshow and talking about some of her travels to gather materials for the articles in the magazine. The most recent issue has an article on the University of Alaska's musk oxen herd, from which qiviut is harvested, as well as one on a rare sheep breed raised in Chiapas state in Mexico. Linda's a fun person, and I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing more. The cost of the dinner is $20 and there will be door prizes. Online signup is here.

Library Acquisition


Last week brought another Amazon gift certificate, which I wasted little time in cashing in. I got home from work today just as the UPS man was delivering this:


I'd been looking at this book for a while, and while some reviews griped about Amos's writing style or about how opinionated he is, there were no substantive arguments about the technical information supplied, which is what interested me the most. I've only been able to read a little bit of it so far, but I think it's going to be a very nice reference to have around.

Assassin's Arsenal

Yarnmonkey has posted yarn and gauge requirements for the International Sock of Doom. I have a good bit of DK weight baby alpaca around, so I may be a good stash buster and use some of that. I'm a bit tempted, however, to use it as an excuse to try out Halcyon Yarn's Limbo, which also comes in nice, albeit more expensive, variegated colorways.

4 comments:

Dena said...

Rhinebeck Bingo? Heck ya! I just heard there will be no China Rose Saturday night. Ah, that's too bad. I had such a good time last year. But I'll have to consider the dinner buffet and presentation.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got in touch with me about sponsorship! You have no idea how much I was stressing out about it, right up to moment before I got your email. Thank you, you made my, well, more than my day. You made my autumn!

Sheepish Annie said...

Hi, Mel! Thanx for stopping by my blog. We really are in each other's backyards! :) I'm going to check out that book. (if nothing else for the cover art...) Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

That Alden Amos book is an incredible reference, I find myself checking it all the time. Makes for dense reading material, but good reference.